Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Stake High Adventure on the Appalachian Trail

This was Andy's group for the Westland Ward boys. There is Kenneth, Justin, and Lance. Danny and Andy were the leaders.

Andy got this close to a rattle snake, i think he is nuts for trying to take a picture of it instead of screaming and running away like i would have done.


They slowly accumulated more boys in there group as leaders went home for various reasons. Some guys had blisters, some got twisted joints, and one guy went home because he got too dehydrated and almost died, now doesn't that sound like a fun hike.

Doesn't Andy look Hot in this picture. This is Andy in his element all the way. He looks at home there.

Andy and Kenneth have a love hate relationship, i think it is more love though, despite what you may hear. They are soaked in this picture and it is because they were poured on for a couple days. It got so bad they were hiking through water up to their ankles.

These are the kind of blisters everyone suffered from, except for Andy, Kenneth and Lance. Kenneth must just have crazy strong skin because he bought boots at Wal-mart the day before the hike. Lucky boy.


By the end of the hike only 4 out of the 9 leaders were even there.

That is a sweet picture of Lance, this picture might freak his mother out though.



These are the boys chilin' on the cliffs waiting to watch the sunset.


This is why they call them the Blue Ridge Mountains. They are beautiful.

This is how close they got to the wildlife up there, Andy even got some film of a bear cub and his mom.

That is one studly man right there.

This Westland Ward were the only complete group to all make it to the end. They are awesome, but very wet and stinky.

They all became really close on this trip as you can see, and some of the boys picked up drinking, Andy is such a good influence. JK moms

They were able to have one good meal the very last day. Steaks were heaven sent after eating mountain house meals and oatmeal all week.

4 comments:

  1. That picture of Andy should go on the cover of some outdoor magazine. Don't ya think? He should make that his facebook profile pic. It looks like he had a ton of fun. He got WAY to close to that snake!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to represent the Westland Ward!!! I am so proud of all the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun...What a beautiful scenery!! Seriously...Andy sounds like a wilderness pro. I'm sure he had a great time! HOw are you guys by the way...I need to call to chat sometime here soon:) I've just been getting random updates from Barbara when I've chatted with her. We miss you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome. How fun would that have been?! And hey, when did Andy buzz his head? I like it, I'm afraid only a few people can pull that look off...not including my husband, haha don't tell him I said that! jk. I was with a few of my friends back in montana and we were walking back to my house from playing in the Missouri River and ran into THREE rattlers that were ready to strike-they surrounded us, freaked us out! we ran away, I didn't hang round long enough to take a snap shot! Even tho spiders scare me more than snakes.
    Miss ya'll!

    ReplyDelete